Tuesday, June 3, 2008

JUNE - $21 Challenge Month (and a budget stocktake)

Well, I am back...

Many months back, I was on top of the credit card, the mortgage and the finances with gusto. But ~ as it does ~ life got in the way of everything and I faded into the background . . . hiding in the flood of interest rates and such. Somehow we have just been fuddling through. Poor ol' Morty has been getting a little extra - we've been on top of many of the interest rate rises ~~ the loss of my income has been significant. More so has the change from weekly to monthly pay at hubby's end.

The No Spend Challenge really brought it back home ~ just how much we were ONLY covering the essential. The LOC is always up at the max for the two weeks between the 1st to 15th of the month. CeeCee is still under its max - well, not really - because we have lowered the amount we can access.


OH - BUT WE WERE WINNERS - and GRINNERS!!

After WINNING an acknowledgement reward in the Simple Savings 'No Spend Challenge', we knew we were on the right track - but as much as we were doing the challenge we had the kerfuffle with MudGuts, the increased medications for my back pain and lots of negotiations with MrCentrelink to PROVE that a fractured spine should be included as a disability requiring some support (even the pension card to lower meds from $88 a pop to the concession). It happened and now it is June and even WITH the concessions we have reached and passed the threshold for the Medicare gap. What that actually means, I do not know - but will find out within the next few weeks when I next get meds and claim rebates.

If I can, this month I simply wish to list what we owe - what we pay and get that all in line. We only have the one credit card - The Pure credit card was paid out and cancelled completely during NSC - so that monkey has gone. Nice to know one is out of the picture. Feb, March and April were spent changing habits - sorting out life. May was a realisation that things had to change - especially as we were told my surgery is highly unlikely to happen this year.

So, its been 15 months since I last worked. It has been 6 months since MyMan went to monthly pay. BOY it has been hard. I miss being in the garden. I miss working and having an income (although I am writing again, feeling inspired and looking outside the proverbial square to better use what we have and what I can contribute). Sounds a contradiction - but I am keeping to the thought that I am NOT disabled per se, I AM incapacitated.

ANYONE GOT A LAZY $50,000???
I would be happy to take it off your hands! :o)
Honest - no hassle... OK - enough dreaming and hoping! Back off my butt / back and into the real world again.


The plan for this month is to not spend our usual $350 on groceries and master the $21 Challenge. Down the side bar is our menu plan. So far so good. Three days in and we've only spent $3.20 on milk. Today I was sensible (hahaha) and instead of buying a new bottle of juice to replace the finished on, I squeezed oranges from the fridge, added the cherry juice from the choc/cherry cake MyMan made and it was delicious!!

It is getting late - and I have vowed to be in bed each day before pumpkin o'clock. So I shall update the side bar and catch you tomorrow. Posts will be short and sweet (well, for me they will be - still a mini ~Mands! novella) but lets see how life treats us this month. An extra $300 on the mortgage, or even the credit card would be an awesome achievement for a family living on an income deemed $45 above the poverty level!! How ridiculous is that!!!! and one more for good luck !

No comments: