Monday, September 6, 2010

The Budget Bites...

This is Molly, who stayed here with her mate Millie.  Looks sweet ~ total animal! 
Just because I feel like it ~ back to the budgeting side of things.  See, I know it sounds a contradiction I am going to the salvos and have savings, but right in the now, anything we have is set for bills, mortgage and food over the next few months and not much more.  Since August 15, its been a bit mega toight ~ had we not paid/covered most of the holiday in advance, we would have had to cancel. The consequence of impetuosity. Now, as the next 4-6 weeks income will range between $212 and $486pw, we are on a really tight budget.  We have monies outstanding from tax and casual work, but this will both take time.  SmallBoy forfeits his $5 Monday lunch order (might find something extra nice to go in his lunchbox) and Husband is going to be in Melbourne with nothing to spend other than train fare.  Getting bread from the Salvos also means there $3 for milk. 

This is the type of situation when I believe a lot of people turn and say to themselves - "crap, I've got nothing, I need some help".  However to get the help they have to pay. But there is no money to pay for the phone to make the call, let alone the consultant fees.  So they save to pay, get themselves on top, think this is OK - "I don't need that help so desperately now." and cycle goes. I was a little surprised to be informed by a 'professional' of the type who pays for budget advice - but its true, because those who can't don't, so I guess we don't factor to 'that' market. Found the whole thing quite condescending really.  Sure I could think of a way to assist this 'pickle' market. *thinks*  Oh, I do make myself my own headaches... 

I am going to start from scratch, try to find a way to save $25 every day - in fares, foods, bills, barter...  Every $25 saved is $5 to each 'box' - mortgage, savings, credit card, bills, holiday fund (for NZ in two years, GlowCave Convention 3).  Every day has an opportunity to not spend and make do to the value of $25. Every day $25 is saved. $25...  Might do this with my mate Bill ~ always good for taking on board advice.

First step:  Assess what I have got

Not what I am going to get, plan to get, used to get.  What do we have as income, regular and now.  Ready for this:  $212.93 per week.  That's what we have had incoming for the past 4 weeks and next 4 to come.  Then, pending MrCentrelink's approval, this will become $502.10pw.  Using savings, we have been paying ourselves $savings each week to bring our tally to $500pw and coping... just.  Ain't much but a $21 Challenge week will keep the shop down (so I'll change that)  Basically, I cant budget $100 for food if I haven't got $100 to pay for it.  I think that is the point, or situation, Ms Bitch does not appreciate or perhaps understand, or target. OK, that is not my problem *grins* and I shall use it for motivation to do... something! I do have a $20 coles voucher - laughing!

Aside from the mortgage payment coming up next week, everything is covered.  The mortgage will be short by about $100 but I shall let our lender know and probably get talked into taking it from the line of credit.  If we can, I hope to not add any debt there and get a hold perhaps for a month or two, or three.  Because I know I have a full pantry, freezer and basic ingredients to make sweet treats as well as savoury things, it's going to be easier to manage than if there was nothing.  Heck, I'll be using 'real' milk for cereal and drinks, but I've got powdered milk for cooking and that is that.  Betcha is not even noticed - it usually isn't.  While I've not a lot of fresh fruit and veg, I have frozen and tinned of both.  Considering the weather is lousy, cold and miserable; hot, hearty dinners are winners and all 'things' of most conditions can hide in a stew!!  Bye bye to the tin of carrot & peas I did not know what to use in!!  

So into the pantry we go ~
This weeks menu planner needs a little change as there was nothing left of the lamb shanks.  Four shanks, good fat ones, seasoned, carrots, onions served on mash with the tomato and wine 'reduction' - no wonder it all went.  The recipe was :


4 lamb shanks 
¼ cup seasoned flour (Moroccan, salt & pepper)
2 tblsp olive oil 
1 onion, chopped 
1 carrot, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tblsp each, dried rosemary and thyme
2 cups beef stock
1 cup red wine
425g can tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

Method: oven set to 200C to start, not fan forced; dish/pan for oven needs cover, foil will work.

1. Dust shanks really well in seasoned flour and shake off excess. Heat oil to medium in a large pan and brown shanks all over (just). Remove from pan.

2. Add onion, carrot and garlic to the pan. Sauté over medium heat till onion is tender. Add rosemary and thyme and stir through mix.

3. Return shanks to the pan (only if oven-proof - otherwise transfer all to an oven-proof dish or slowcooker).  Add stock, wine, thyme, tomatoes and seasonings. 



4.  Place dish in oven for 90-120mins covered, then 60 mins uncovered at 170C, turning shanks every 45-60mins


Serve it up on mashed potatoes with a green vegetable (peas, beans, broccoli) 



SmallBoy and I shall have Spaghetti Carbonara because I have that many eggs it isn't funny - and that's with giving them away willy-nilly to neighbours and friends.  Nope - no sour cream, no cream... So we shall have pasta bolognese tonight.  If I can, I don't need to get anything from the shops now until Thursday or Friday, and that should just be milk, a little fruit and some vegetables.  Using tinned fruit for lunch snacks is going to be a bonus - so many pears, mixed fruit.

Because of the comments on the Budget Bitch's facebook page, and some of the comments I've had here, on facebook, from friends, I am putting together my mate Bill's plan from woe to go and using what I do to get some changes in his budget.  What's more, if it goes as I think and believe it should, I might even get $50 out of it!  It will be a good months work, but if it does work then I might think how I can offer this as a service.  Going slowly, Bill tends to need things shown once or twice before trying himself - silly monkey (yes, I've said that face-to-face and we laughed!!)  Stay tuned for more on that.

Glad it wasn't just me who thought things were a bit narrow-minded, condescending and negative. Sometimes it is not about 'being rich' in the savings right here, right now.  I would much rather provide a tool with back up support that helps 5 people a day to help themselves, making me (say) $100 a day, or $500pw than service 2-3 clients a week, pander to their needs and whims like a throw-away 'disposable' accountant for the same. I don't see the point in burning out for money's sake. 

Any how, working on something ~ trying it out on Bill then approaching someone I believe will take it a little further.  Nothing is ever simple ~ but everything is worth trying at least once if you think it will better yourself and or others.  






♒  Welcome Back  
Today I wrote a letter on some parchment paper old
Opened up my heart and soul, it all had to be told
Folding up the loaded notes, what would the response be
In ten years time when I open up a letter sent to me

A letter of wishes, dreams and goals; of loss and great regret
Written in my neatest hand, things I must not forget
Little moments, long winded sagas, funny little stories
Remembering a year in a life, mine in all its glory




-ஜ۩۞۩ஜ-♥ 

lΦϑє, lℐﻪ℧ჭɦʈeʁ & ʆίφђϮ 
 ռﻪოﻪรϮε 







Yes - a little late, but oh so close.  What a fragmented meandering...

No comments: