Thursday, September 16, 2010

What to do with a drunken sailor?

Coffs Harbour ~ I sat on the couch, he chatted and ate beside me!

Might be easier sometimes, being a drunken sailor..

Bit flat ~ the head has a heap of wonderful, great, practical and achievable ideas ~ the body is stuffed, tired and wants to give it all to someone else to do.  Then, come 3pm, motivation and enthusiasm waltz in the 'door' but the evening routine of school run, shopping or pick ups, home work and dinner take over.  Come on ~ surely I can do this?  I've worked while a single mother AND had the house the cleanest it has ever been.  What is wrong with me??



A short time later...
Amazing what a little self sooking can do for me ~ few swift kicks up the tooshie and I can see where I need to go, sort of *grins*  I know I want to be able to do cartwheels, backflips and walkovers again, asap and now.  However, I've got to re-learn how to raise my arm or leg without rolling my hip and twisting my back in the process. At therapy this week, we did the programme in front of a mirror so I could see what I was doing and where correcting was required. It helps seeing and feeling the movements ~ my therapist says this all needs to be re-mapped in my body/brain because lots of bad habits in standing (leaning) were imprinted through pain and bone breakage over the past 10-12 years, it all needs to 'remember' the straighter map.  I get that.  

So yes, I get that slow idea a little better every day.  I understand and accept this is what the next 3-4 months is about - retraining, retaining and resetting the whole body programme.  This is something I wish to take a little further with regard to health, eating and body wellness.  Why?  Because I am sick of being sick, sore, energy poor and tired so easily, so often.  I need to do a bit of an extreme makeover of the internal type.  Much to the 'wit' and jibes of others, I'm going on a diet of weeds.  No - evil thinkers of a marijuana type diet ~ that would be a munchie-makeover and probably involve lots of chocolate, lollies and soft drink!!  

Reading about raw diets, whole foods, diets of indigenous people and the relevance to mental health, digestion, headaches, lethargy, anemia, muscle aches and all the other crap that seems to bombard me from time to time, I think perhaps I am on the right track.  My instinct has been right more than once and this one is really in the gut. *bad pun* If nothing else, it won't hurt or kill me.  Maybe it will provide benefit because we've learnt so much about food ~ I think more than your 'average' Joe in many ways.

As a family, there has always been an awareness regarding additives in food stuffs, changes in processes and ingredient modifications due to MudGuts having massive reactions to colours, flavours, preservatives and cocoa powder ~ discovered through a process of elimination.  I still remember our first shop after cleaning out the cupboards of 'offending' products and restocking with 'safe' foods.  The shop took almost three hours as we labouriously referenced the side of every label on every item we chose ~ how some brands had additives of x, others of y, some both and more, and others with none of the nasties.  It was a long, long $80 shop!!  Most was fresh or the base ingredients for fresh, home made foods - including bread.

Food, behaviour and MudGuts has long been an issue, no - major factor in our lives.  Right down to the day I tried to show my mother than even salt was not 'clean'.  Making her pull out the salt container, I asked her to tell me what was in the container, aside from the salt.  Even reading out the 3 additional items to salt (including anti-caking agents), I wondered then, as I do now, if it really registered that this was crap being ingested as 'ok' for human consumption.  On what basis other than the manufacturer put it in?  Bread has preservatives, margarine has manufactured compounds, white rice is treated, seedless watermelon are genetically modified... what else??

Habit ensures we still do this today - for the most part at least.  While MudGuts no longer lives at home, he is here often enough for meals and we can always cater a full 'safe' meal for all to enjoy.  At various times over the past 2-3 years, more foods of convenience have appeared in the pantry and these usually err on the side of 'healthy' and safe than all out ingredients-by-number type products.  Rather than making a curry from scratch we have taken to the add simmer sauce, using a base tomato sauce in a jar and we have bought more cleaning products than the old vinegar, bi-carb and water.  Not the ideal, but council/health services cleaners will not use 'made-up' cleaning products; making meals post surgery that were not cereal with milk, pasta with butter or something from the shop had to be easy especially with Husband away, working, unable to help.  


Here come SMARTER CHANGES
As of this week, all of those in-abilities, difficulties and problems are gone.  Husband is home, the cleaner is already made and being used, we've both shared the load of cooking in the past and can now put together a weekly/fortnightly meal plan to cover all meals - not just dinner.  This can then help work through the pantry stock and allow us to develop veggies, fruit and greens in the garden.  

Tomorrow morning I will have my first breakfast smoothie following the Green Diet. I can't see me throwing myself into a smoothie of kale, capsicum and stinging nettle as a first taste ~ the kiwi, apple, banana and celery combination is very appealing.  It's not juicing the ingredients, its blending them, so the bananas will be from the freezer and should make it yummy, like a thick shake.  *yes, I will be saying that to myself to ensure I go into this with positivity and planned enjoyment*

I thought I'd noted the plans for meals for this week- I haven't found my list anywhere yet and now that my 'breakfast' has changed, the whole lot can have a bit of a tweak.  Tomorrow is dinner of choice for Birthday Boy Husband ~ into the era of mid/late 40s and he still looks younger than me.  Scrubs up late 30s without really trying.  Ok - yes, I think he's pretty hot and will have to get used to the idea of soon sharing my bed with a 50yo man *evil chuckle*  He'll have an old lady in his bed one day sooner than I wish!!

Guess we are in for a bit of a ride, the start of a journey.
Welcome aboard ~ hope this part is not too bumpy!


This was a parody I wrote against the Simon and Garfunkel classic, 'Sounds of Silence'. My apologies to the faithful ~ love their music too and perhaps this is why the songs were with my while so ill and 'occupied'.
Most of this was written amid much laughter from the SmallBoy, even more farting and groaning from moi!

Hello Toilet my old friend
I've come to sit on you again
My gut has sent its first warning
And the rumble means its now forming
Into clusters
Like little pebbles fell
And the smell
Brings forth my
Constipation

How my bowels they moan and bray
Into the porcelain I pray
Dear God please make this stop
Get it out before my hemorrhoids pop
But it won't
No matter hard I yell
Still more the smell
So stuck with
Constipation

And as the pains increase some more
Pebbles stop, huge bolders pour
They cant fall without sticking
The stretching skin begins stinging
Like a blow
My vision turns to black
That pooh pulls back
Stupid shy
Constipation


.... and I shall leave you there because if you have every had really really REALLY bad constipation you know this only gets worse *grins*  I've the full five verses - and variations of the verses depending on the state of 'sit'. Oh the memories.  So glad codeine is mostly gone from my meds!

Another reason to try this Green Smoothie and get more fibre in

No comments: