Thursday, September 30, 2010

Riding a wave...





Are the days getting brighter?
Not enough here in Ballarat! Boy the rain can pour down!  Big, heavy, straight lines of torrential rain.  Anything drying and finally not a soggy bog was like an instant soup mix dissolving with the buckets that landed here this morning!  And yesterday morning.  Of course at any given time you can look out the window and see sunshine, blue skies and white fluffy clouds.  Walk away for a moment and all of a sudden it is raining.  It would be snowing if it were colder...

I've made some commitments to myself ~ and am actually upholding them.  Like being in bed at reasonable o'clock.  Of course reasonable varies but so long as I am in bed by 1230am, computer off, one commitment is honoured.  If I am awake by 800am, not necessarily up and out of bed, this too is on target.  Breakfast by 930am - and this does not count a mug of coffee, chocolate or water - it must be either a cereal or a green smoothie.  Today's smoothie is kiwi, pineapple, apple, pear, banana (frozen), celery, romaine lettuce ~ delightfully refreshing and surprisingly tasty.  Hoping SmallBoy will have some when he emerges from slumber.

If you've not worked it out by now, I tend to write off and on all day.  I mention this because sometimes I may have said something at the start that ends up not happening or changing as the day goes on.  Also, now I am more active and mobile, there is not as much time spent resting or laying flat ~ the brain is playing catchup and reset after a myriad of pain medication.  I feel like I have been in a slight coma only I didn't feel that way while under the influence, more I am noticing the clarity of thought and ability to remember.  It is a wonderful feeling!!

Then the bottom falls out...
If its not going well, it's going crapola!  No even steady middle - just one extreme to the other. Got a wee glitch in the finances and I feel like it is my fault.  Well, in some ways it is but only because I was slack - its the incoming, not the outgoing!  Darn it bad.  Plus with Husband under the weather, he can be a grumpy ol' woman at times.  I think it can be because he gets frustrated at the slowness, the inability to get an extra pair of hands on the job and just the whole changed dynamics of the way his day pans out.  It takes some adjusting - I know that.  Man ~ how long before I understood what 'stop, rest, chill' meant! Probably about 9months post op!

Then the day swings up in the highest of highs! Spotted a very special old friend on facebook, bit the bullet and sent off a quick note to say hi, love to reacquaint but happy if time has moved us on to different directions.  Well strike me down ~ she'd had a dream about me, been thinking after me ~ we've chatted and I am stoked! Hoping we will catch up soon and I think it is almost the Slatey Chicks birthday!!  Bubbles would be good hey love (don't know if she's found this yet, but hi love if you have!!)


~Mands is on a Mission
Having just gone through our budget - again - our total debt has come up around the $25k mark.  This does not count the mortgage and we've been really good at getting ahead on our payments by adding $5-$10 extra dollars every few days.  As interest is calculated daily ~ I figured by making the amount lower every day the interest is not ticking over on the same amount for a fortnight at a time.  We hope to make repayments weekly, but we need to clear the line of credit first or it will be 'rolled' on to the mortgage total (currently under $165k) and delay our goal to pay it out in under 10 years.  It's only been four years, but we have already reduced the amount by $50k so we are on track, sort of...

So, setting up an eBay account to clear the clutter and make some savings along with the space.  If I could do it myself, I'd love to say to Husband and SmallBoy we can have 100 items each and the rest has to go.  Maybe it would work if we were not including clothes and the kitchen would have to be exempt too.  If I halved what is there it might only be half as full ~ funny that.  I mean how many saucepans, cake tins, plates, bowls or mugs do we really need.  Still need to keep two peelers because team work gets the potatoes peeled quicker!

I am going to run a separate page on 'The Mission' with an aim to raise $25,000 and clear the debt, create some savings and get things on track for Queensland 2011.  If we clear the line of credit and the personal loan, this would be ideal and leave around $7,000 to have aside for our first few months in QLD ~ or a new car if that doesn't pan out.  It is very exciting because we think it is entirely possible.  On our income we couldn't save that much in a pink fit ~ but downsizing and de-clutter it might happen (with help from above - carn Angels, spirits and my fine fairy friends - lets get it together!)

If we did get stuck, at least we've got eggs.  Just found 22 in the blackberry bushes up beside the garage.  Let me say ~ funny but not fun *chuckles*  Picking out the prickles from my arm as I sit here.  Oh ouchie!!  I knew I was about a dozen short of what I had expected these last few days - but 22!  Of course they were right up the back and in the thick of it all.  I have no egg cartons left and am now in desperate need.  Actually if anyone turns up here with more than one carton I will give them back a full one because we currently have 10 dozen - what to do with all those eggs!  Might make up some cake mix, cook a few to freeze and think of something else to make, bake and/or freeze.

I have no concerns about food ~ while the garden is getting ready we have plenty of tinned and frozen fruit and veggies, a pantry of food and bulk basic items and several freezers full of meat so it is only milk and cat food that is needed.  Happy to start using the weeds for my green smoothies - maybe *grins*  Oh it is hard to get the head around that weeds are good (considering how weed implies marijuana implies drugs implies bad) but I guess it is the same for someone who can't eat lamb's fry or brains or other offal because it is the animal's guts.  I'll eat most offal although I am not a fan of tripe. Ox tongue is ok when cooked right but I've never cooked it myself.  Love the ol' livers, kidneys and brains if crumbed and cooked just right . . . how many are screwing up their faces and say 'yuck' right now I wonder!!

So ~ A Year without Spending...
This doesn't mean we won't be paying the bills, for food and health items, mortgage and all the other necessities in life.  It will only the necessities we will spend money on and everything else we might source, barter, trade or cut back.  Questions posed on Simple Savings to make this real and manageable have been thought about, mostly by me and hoping to have the boys on board.  I think SmallBoy will take to it really well if both Husband I are united in our actions and goals.  Hopefully these responses will form the basis of our plan:  

What is necessary and what isn't for our family?
Necessary:  Mortgage, Electricity, Gas, Water, Insurances, Basic/Bulk food items, Cat Food, Petrol, Internet, School fees, Medicines, Dental and Therapy costs; Wood
Unnecessary: Doctors private appointments (I'll bulk bill, sit in reception, wait); Newspapers and Magazines; Taxi's; Takeaway food, coffee and snacks; 

Is it for the money or the environment? 
Both ~ the main objective is to live within our income AND save a little on the side; this will result in environmental benefits due to the lack of wrapping, chemicals, petrol usage and more on home made cleaners, baking, home grown foods.  It's a wonderful way to teach family values, care and responsibility for self, the world and more.

How will we keep track of our achievements? 
Well the blog will be one way, along with the Simple Savings thread.  Visually we need to design some sort of calendar or chat where we can see the progress both financially and creatively.  Maybe an arrow to colour in or days to cross of as 'no spend' days.

How much money can we save - and where would this go? 
$6000 : For the Queensland move and relocation ~ I would hope we could get to save $100 a week ~ this might be a struggle in the start however it is planned that Husband will work in the new year as I improve and recover, if only part time. Plus, debt will be run down through 'The Mission' - which I'll talk about another day. It's not ready yet *grins*

Have we got a reachable goal to get us focused? 
I think the target is achievable - we saved $13000 in a year when getting our mortgage deposit together. Sure, our rent then was half the amount our mortgage repayments are currently and we were earning three times the income but our groceries were $300 a month so if we get back to that, the savings are extremely achievable. 

Are the family on board? 
I could say yes ~ but not sure entirely.  I think SmallBoy would get into it once he sees the benefit it will have with family activities, being out and about, being creative and having $500+ of his own savings at the end of one year.  Husband could be - it just might take some creative selling and rewards along the way *grins*

Do we have a list of the things that may come up that we think we will "need"? 
There will be ~ it's still being collated (in my head!)  Things like presents for birthdays can be made, from the 'presents' box. Haircuts are available at SMBs School of Hair, Beauty and Natural Therapies. I cut SmallBoy's hair - he's only had two 'real' haircuts in his 10years!  

How will we tackle this? 
Freecycle and ReUseIt groups are great ways to find things one needs that others don't!  Bartering, sharing, learning to do things ourselves will be on the cards - we have enough books on 'How to...' so we can read those.  Op Shops are always good for low cost quality items.  

Are we still going to use the same utilities? 
Probably - but I might make the home phone incoming only and use the mobile, Skype, VOIP and email for outbound calls.  Electricity and gas are combined and this is a regular amount each month which balances over the high usage in winter and nominal usage in summer.  An experienced haggler here - so I will always renegotiate rates, fees and payments.

How can we help the environment during this challenge? 
Our 'footprint' will be significantly smaller and other using less power, packaging and chemicals will only be better.  I wonder if I can haggle my rates down and only get rubbish collections every other week? *thinks*

What can we do to reduce waste?
Things home made don't come in packages, with boxes around the plastic filled stuff inside that may also be individually wrapped.  We will use cloth napkins, lunch-boxes, compost suitable items and reuse items more the once somewhere else within our lives.  Drinking water bottles can be used as covers against the frost, or mini hot-houses.  Why will we still buy water?  Because Ballarat water is the most disgusting tasting chlorinated dirty stuff - more so when we had tank water for 6 years.

How can we better utilise our free time?
Oh I have a list ~ there is two years or more of catch-up to do.  Add a vegetable garden to re-establish and maintain, chooks to pamper, things to fix ~ there won't be any free time *grins*  We are able to watch movies, go get things from the library, have time out exploring our local areas and parks.

How will we deal with birthdays, celebrations and Christmas? 
I've always had shoes, pyjamas, underwear and socks in the Santa Sack and from Easter Bunny (as you do).  There will be home made items, samples, free stuff that make great presents.  Others will hopefully appreciate these as much as a $10 note, voucher or whatever.  We can even give mini veggie garden/pots  for gifts.

Will we barter? What can we barter? 
Yup ~ well, we have eggs!!  We can baby-sit, help with house moves (I'll barter Husband's muscle with ease!)

What things can we do for entertainment?
Cards, board games, books and videos from the library, have friends over - we'll cook, they can bring wine.  There are lots of low cost things we do already.

Do we need to learn anything to help us through the year? 
Well, as we won't have the money to do our medical degree, we might look into some DIY sessions at Bunnings - they're free and you get to take stuff home. We'll learn new recipes, other frugal methods and anything else that might crop up.

How will we tell family and friends? Will they even know?
I'd like to share the adventure ~ not expecting anyone to follow our ways because that's unreasonable. I'd just hope the reasons are understood and respected.  And cheering from the sidelines with our successes would be such an added bonus!

And that should do it for now ~ this will change and we will start the trial now and tweak before the New Year is here hopefully getting a head start on the savings goals.  Now to gently break the news to my dear Husband ~ wish me luck! *laughs*


Where do you go when the sun goes down
I've looked for you often but you're never around
I guess it's because you don't want to found
In the evening

Why do you leave as the moon rises high
The light it casts over us from up in the sky
There so much to do, how I wish you would try
In the evening

You only call when at the first rays of dawn
When night's barely over, it's only just morn'
It's been this way since the day you were born
Bloody rooster

No comments: